Wednesday 25 August 2010

Tutorial Tuesday - F is for Freddie

Photobucket
I posted this teaser pic about 5 weeks ago. I can now reveal it was.....
Photobucket
A very special cushion for my sister's birthday. She is somewhat hippo crazy and so when I saw the fabric at Ikea in the spring I knew it had to become something for her. Adding the initial was very easy. I got hold of some double sided fusible webbing - the type of thing which you use to hem trousers without sewing. You can buy sheets of it here (scroll down - no affiliation). If you didn't buy sheets of it you'd just need to be a bit more cretive with the trouser stuff but it would still work.

I played around with some fonts first to get an F I liked but then just ended up drawing one freehand. I cut the webbing (which has paper on both sides) to the right shape and ironed it onto my dotty fabric. I then cut the fabric to the right shape around it and ironed it onto the hippo fabric. I think that would hold it without the need for sewing but for neatness I went round the edge with a small zigzag stitch in a suitable colour.
Photobucket
The cushion pad comes out thanks to some plain yet yummy buttons on the back.
Photobucket
I admit I was pretty chuffed with this one.

Did I stop there? Never. One of the gorgeous tutorials I've been gethering on this page (also in top menu bar) was calling to me....bunting.
Photobucket
Is there anything as cheerful as bunting? And it was very easy to do. I literally just followed this tutorial. Except I used a piece of ribbon instead of bias binding.
Photobucket
I really want to make some for me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to make myself some bunting for ages and that tutorial (and your bunting) looks great, thank you for sharing! xx