Friday 2 August 2013

In the Olden Days

When we were little my Sister and I would occasionally ask my Mum questions about "the olden days" - usually taken to mean anything that happened before our birth. Looking through some of the photos in "The Commons" (a Flickr project to make image archives publicly available) I was reminded of this. There are some amazing images! Click on the ones below to get the original which often has a good description attached to it. Or visit The Commons and search for what interests you. You're encouraged to add information to each of them where you can.

Beautiful ambrotype.
Elderly woman, knitting
Scarborough herring girls.
Herring girls, Scarborough, Yorkshire
US Wounded Soldiers
Bed-ridden wounded, knitting. Walter Reed Hospital, Washington, D.C. Harris & Ewing., ca. 1918 - ca. 1919
My retirement as I envisage it.
A Member of the South Beach Retirement Community Enjoys the Sun and Sea Air. Most of the Retirees in the Area Live in Inexpensive Residential Hotels Within Walking Distance of the Public Beach.
You'd never be stuck for where to keep your knitting with a stovepipe hat.
My mother (sitting), Shan y Lliwdy and Bontfaen maid
From Rykjavic. These ladies have more stuff than even me.
Prjónað í setustofu, 1910-1930
There is lots more besides. For instance - who can resist this photo from the New York Public Library Collection:
Ruth St. Denis in first costume for Radha.  Bust portrait.
Divine!

No comments: