Friday 12 September 2014

A Present of Sashiko

I mentioned in Thursday's post that I had made another 'Sew Beautiful' bag using some sashiko embroidery. Sashiko is the japanese word for 'little stabs', not to be confused with 'chiku chiku' which is the onomatopoeic phrase for sewing - chiku is said to be the noise the needle makes when it goes in and out of the fabric to form one stitch. The japanese are very keen on onomatopoeia. When I had finished the fabric I intended to use for the outside I had a strong urge to leave it as it was and frame it or something.
sashiko fabric
I really like how it turned out. I didn't use any traditional patterns so the embroidery is a bit random. I used scraps of traditional japanese fabrics and used the embroidery to secure them to a felt backing.
closeup of sashiko bag outer fabric
closeup of sashiko bag outer fabric
closeup of sashiko bag outer fabric

The finished object...
sashiko washbag
sashiko washbag
This will be making its way to england in time for my step-dad's birthday.


1 comment:

Mary Pat Callihan said...

Lixie, I loved your post! I am so glad I found you...so joyful, so silly, so talented, so far away with fabulous fabrics at your fingertips! Can't wait to see what you have in store for the Rush blog hop!